News / EZ-GO Golf Carts
It's the 1st of the month so that means it's time for another "how to" video for you DIY golfers out there. Many of our customers own gas golf carts. Every week we take calls from people that are having a hard time getting their carts to run. Sometimes they run intermittently. One minute the cart runs great, they other they can’t get the engine to turn over.
Lots of times people will mistake this for a dead battery; they will replace it and still have the same issue. Many times when this is a problem the brushes in your starter are worn out and need to be replaced.
This is a really common problem and an extremely easy fix! In this video we will show you how to troubleshoot and replace the starter generator brushes in your gas powered golf cart!
How To Change The Oil On An E-Z-GO Golf Cart
Need help changing the oil on your E-Z-GO golf cart? We have outlined the instructions below in addition to all the tools and supplies needed to change the oil on your golf cart.
Things You'll Need:
- Lint-free rag
- Oil drain pan
- Engine degreaser and paintbrush, or compressed air
- 10W-30 grade engine oil
Start the engine and allow it to warm. Park the golf cart on a level surface, apply the parking brake and remove the ignition key.
- Clean the top of the engine's oil cap, as well as the area immediately surrounding the cap, with a lint-free rag to avoid having potentially harmful debris inadvertently enter the engine when the oil cap is removed.
- Place an oil drain pan underneath the oil filter. The oil filter is located within a triangular metal housing and is attached to the engine with three bolts.
- Remove the oil filter's three retaining bolts with a wrench, then pull the filter out of the engine and allow the oil to drain into the pan. Do not lose the large rubber O-ring that surrounds the filter.
- Clean the oil filter with either an engine degreaser, available at most automotive parts stores, or with compressed air. If using a degreaser, brush the degreaser onto the filter with a paintbrush and allow it to air dry. If using compressed air, direct the air through the filter at no more than 30 pounds per square inch, and from a distance not less than 3 inches.
- Wipe the area surrounding the engine's oil filter mount with a lint-free rag, then slide the oil filter into place within the engine and install the filter's three retaining bolts with a wrench.
- Twist off the engine's oil cap from the top of the engine, and insert a funnel into the opening. Pour 10W-30 grade engine oil into the funnel in small increments, periodically stopping to check the fluid level on the engine's oil dipstick. The dipstick has two lines and the letter "F" stamped into it. The line just under the letter "F" represents the full mark, while the bottom line represents the minimum quantity of oil the engine requires to safely operate. Pour oil into the funnel until the oil level on the dipstick is between the two lines.
- Remove the funnel from the oil cap opening, and install the oil cap
There doesn't seem to be a day that goes by at RMI Golf Carts that we don't receive phone calls or emails on the topic of battery chargers. Many times folks ask "do you guys sell chargers"? The answer is of course "yes"! But like we tell everyone that calls, more than likely you don't need to buy a new charger. Many people are shocked to know that most of the time they can be repaired.
Once this has been established, the next question is “How do I determine if it’s bad”, and "I’m pretty handy, what parts do I need"!!
So, we’ve decided to put together a "How to" video on repairing the E-Z-GO Powerwise Charger. This is the charger that works on all E-Z-GO PDS 36 volt carts. It seems to be the most popular charger out, and it’s the one we see the most.
Items you will need to repair and troubleshoot your E-Z-Go Powerwise Charger
Parts You May Need
|Philips head screw driver||Diode Stud Type - 2010|
|Needle nose pliers||E-Z-Go Powerwise Control Board|
|7/16 wrench||Powerwise 50 Amp Fuse|
|Voltage meter with buzzer|
E-Z-Go Powerwise Charger troubleshooting quick guide
Did you check the end of the Powerwise charger handle?
More often than not the issue is with the charger handle. Inside the charger handle there's a little clip. These clips wear and get pushed out of place. Pull the clip back out, so that it is grounded to the post.
Did you check the charger cord?
People have a tendency to yank the cord out when they’re done charging, this can damage it. With power supply plugged in, lift up on the cord rotate it different directions to see if the charger comes on. If the charger doesn’t come on, then you have a bad connection somewhere else.
Did you check the fuse on the Powerwise charger?
Unplug the charger. Use the voltmeter and ground it to the screw next to the fuse, and press the other end to the opposite side of the fuss. If it was a bad fuse you voltmeter wouldn’t buzz or beep. If you have a bad fuse, here is the part number for the E-Z-Go Powerwise charger: replacement 50 amp fuse part number is 2810601G01
Did you check the diodes on the charger?
Ground the heatsink board. With the other wand, touch each diode separately. If any of the diodes beep or buzz, then all of the diodes need to be replaced. The part number for the Powerwise replacement diodes is 18488G1.
Did you take a look at the motherboard of the Powerwise charger?
If the charger comes on by pressing a screwdriver to the black connector, you know it’s bad (see video for details). The replacement part number for the Powerwise charger motherboard is 28667G01.
Did you check for current continuity along the charger handle and cord?
Use your voltmeter to test the positive end of the charger handle. Press the other end to the negative line coming in (near the fuse). This is just one last check to be sure, since often the handle of the E-Z-Go Powerwise Charger is where people tend to have issues.
Golf is one of the most relaxing sports in the world. It is a way to get away from all of the pressure and stress of daily life while working on a worthwhile hobby. Many golfers can agree that the use of a golf cart during a round is the way to go. Eliminating the strain of walking 18 holes makes golf an easier game on the body that can be played well into old age. Golf cart technology has advanced to the point where golf courses and individuals no longer have to rely on gas powered motors. Lithium powered golf carts are the way of the future. E-Z-Go golf carts now offers the Elite Lithium model that is changing the golf cart industry. Here are just a few of the many advantages of lithium powered golf carts.
Batteries that do not require maintenance
As most golf courses know, traditional golf cart batteries can require quite a bit of maintenance. However, with lithium ion golf cart batteries, you do not need to water your batteries, clean the terminal posts, and check for power holding on a regular basis. Your golf course will be able to save countless hours of maintenance work by using lithium ion golf cart batteries. Your staff will be overjoyed at the new found freedom they have to devote to other important golf issues on the course.
Your golf carts will be lighter
One of the heaviest parts of a golf cart is the clunky battery underneath the seat. On days that are wetter than most, this extra weight can cause the tires of a golf cart to dig into fairways and other areas. When switching over to lithium ion batteries, your golf carts will weigh hundreds of pounds less due to the removal of lead acid. The turf is one of your most valuable assets on your course. Having lighter carts will help you protect your fairways while giving your golfers a much more rewarding golf experience.
A battery that doesn't quit
One of the biggest detriments to a golf course is any down time. Most golfers are very busy businessmen who need to get out onto the course as quickly as possible. When your carts are down for service, this can cause hold ups that will give your course a bad reputation. Samsung SDI lithium batteries are controlled by a battery management system that ensures performance day in and day out. Efficiency, the state of charge, temperature, and the health of the battery are all easy to access. The same lithium ion technology that is being used in these golf carts has also been tested in electric cars, power tools, scooters, and other electronic devices.
Get the power you need
In mountain golf courses especially, one of the biggest complaints of golfers is the lack of power that golf carts have during hill climbs. With lithium technology, you will be able to give your golfers the power they want and need. No longer will you have carts that are struggling to get up those steeper hills on your course. This will also speed up play which will allow you to book more groups each day.
Become an eco-friendly golf course
Battery recycling can be pretty damaging to the environment. However, with lithium ion batteries, you will be able to spend less time in the recycling process and more time driving on the course. Batteries are always going to be more eco-friendly than the gas powered alternative. This zero-emissions option will be a great way to market your course as a forward thinking course that is protecting the natural environment.
Owning an E-Z-GO has never been more affordable!
E-Z-GO has partnered with Sheffield Financial to provide fixed, straight, installment loans for purchases of E-Z-GO vehicles. Sheffield offerings valid through May 31st include:
- • 0% interest rate for 48 months
- • 1.99% interest rate for 36 months
- • 5.99% interest rate for 60 months ($4,000 Min)
E-Z-GO is now offering an extended warranty program on New Freedom Gas RXV and TXT Models. Freedom's come with a standard 36 month warranty. Now, you can purchase a 12 month extended warranty for a cost of $499.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does the E-Z-GO Extended Warranty cover? A. The E-Z-GO Extended Warranty covers the repair or replacement of factory-installed drive train parts, including engine, CVT drive system, and transaxle.
2. When does coverage begin? A. Coverage under the E-Z-GO Extended Warranty begins when manufacturer’s warranty term has expired. For example, on a Valor, manufacturer’s warranty is 12 months from vehicle registration. With a 12 month E-Z-GO Extended Warranty, coverage begins in the 13th month and lasts through the 24th month from vehicle registration.
3. What happens if a customer sells or trades their vehicle? A. The E-Z-GO Extended Warranty is not transferable to a new owner.
4. If modifications are made to the vehicle, will the E-Z-GO Extended Warranty still cover the vehicle? A. Any modifications or alterations made to the vehicle that go beyond any E-Z-GO Genuine Parts and Pro-Fit® accessories are not covered under the E-Z-GO Extended Warranty.
5. Is the E-Z-GO Extended Warranty accepted at all dealerships? A. Yes, all E-Z-GO authorized dealers will accept the E-Z-GO Extended Warranty.
6. When can the E-Z-GO Extended Warranty be purchased? A. The E-Z-GO Extended Warranty can only be purchased within 30 days of vehicle registration.
7. Can this be sold in commercial applications? A. No. The E-Z-GO Extended Warranty is not for commercial customers.
Upgrade the unmatched performance of the Freedom® RXV® with unmatched style and class. This vehicle offers the ultimate package with a luxury automotive paint scheme and premium, two tone vinyl seats. Top it off with a sleek, 12” wheel, fold-down windshield and black sun canopy, and you’ve got the envy of the neighborhood. Of course, what’s on the inside counts too. This limited edition vehicle comes equipped with the Smart Link™ golf car monitoring system making this the smartest, most stylish vehicle on the market.
We only have 6 available so get yours while they last! Remember, there is financing available on all New E-Z-GO Units!
With Spring quickly approaching I'm happy to announce the E-Z-GO and Bad Boy Buggy's Spring Sale Event has started! The Sales event runs through May 31st So dont hesitate in taking advantage of the great offer.
Eligible Units are as follows:
- 2014 E-Z-GO Units - $500 Rebate
- 2015 E-Z-GO Units - $250 Rebate
Please Note that Valor's, and 2Five models are excluded from this program.
- 2015 Bad Boy Buggy Sport Models - $500
Please Note - Sport Models Include the Ambush iS, Recoil Crew, Recoil iS, Instinct, and Recoil
We have shipments arriving now on the full 2015 lineup for both Bad Boy and E-Z-GO models. We do have a few of the 2014 E-Z-GO models left in the Express S4 so grab them while they last.
Please contact us at 913-829-122 with any questions about this sales program.
I'm pleased to announce that E-Z-GO and Bad Boy have announced their Fall Sales Promotion good on all remaining 2014 models!
- 2014 E-Z-GO ELECTRIC Freedom, Express S4, Express S6, and Terrain models receive a $500 unit rebate!
- 2014 E-Z-GO GASOLINE Freedom, Express S4, Express S6, and Terrain models receive a $300 unit rebate!
- 2014 Bad Boy Buggies Sport Series Units will receive a $500 per unit rebates! (Instinct, Recoil, Recoil iS, and Ambush iS)
This promotion is only good until 12/31/2014, so dont delay! Also, keep in mind there are great financing options as well. 0% for 24 months!
I'm pleased to announce that both E-Z-GO and Bad Boy Buggies have kicked off a great new summer sales event! E-Z-GO is offering rebates of $250 for 2014 Freedom RXV's and $300 off 2014 Terrain and Express Models! Bad Boy rebates of $500 are available for all new 2014 Sport Series Models! That does include the new Hybrid Ambush iS, Recoil, Recoil iS, and Instinct.
Don't forget about the great financing options as well. 0% financing for 24 months is available! Don't wait! This Summer Sales Events ends July 31st!